Saturday, June 11, 2011

Back Home

I'm now 10,000 km away from Jakarta, and it's just strange. Going from a city of 15(ish) million (the number varies depending on who you ask) to a city of 39,000 is a bit of a change.

I slept with my window open last night, and I woke up to the sound of birds. Imagine that... and there's no palm trees anywhere. Not to mention the quiet (the church down the street does make noise, but it's nothing compared to the mosques of Jakarta).

But but but. There's some stuff I genuinely miss about Indonesia. Like... ah, can't think of anything. Starbucks, maybe, 'cause they don't have it here in Finland. Yeah, I'd go back just for the Starbucks. And my friends, but that obviously goes without saying.

It's funny, though, because coming back here I've had a couple moments of culture shock as well. Just the way people are dressed is kind of strange - or rather, the way they aren't dressed (the amount of shirtless men is unbelievable, and they're mostly not the kind you'd like to see shirtless...). I felt positively Victorian in my long jeans and loose t-shirt. Plus these people know nothing about traffic safety - they all drive on the wrong side of the road! - Just kidding. Anyways, the streets are really empty, it's weird, and there's hardly any motorcycles anywhere o.O

Okay, yeah, sorry, this blog was supposed to be about Indonesia. But right now, I need a short break from that place. I think I'll go wear a tight tanktop and shorts and get me some salmiakki-flavoured ice cream.

Love y'all!
- Anna xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment